Tuesday, March 31, 2009

English Bulldogs - The Basics

Present day English Bulldogs are very different from their ancestors. They have descended from the ancient Asiatic Mastiff but their evolution took place entirely in Great Britain. The name "Bulldog" has medieval origin and it not only refers to the look of a little bull, which English Bulldogs have, but also because of the power that these dogs had when they would attack bulls in arena combat.

Bulldogs are small but wide, compact, and masculine looking. They have thick massive heads. Bulldogs are noted for their wrinkly round faces. Their snouts are short and pug and their noses are broad with large nostrils. Their eyes are big, round, and far apart. Their ears are small, thin, and floppy. Their tails are short and hang low. They come in many different colors such as red, fawn, brindle, pale yellow, washed-out red, white, or a variety of any of these. Bulldogs have stocky legs at the corners of their box-like bodies. They also walk in a bit of a waddle. They are usually about 12-16 inches long. Males weigh about 53-55 pounds and females 49-51 pounds.

Even though English Bulldogs may look intimidating, they are one of the gentlest breeds of dogs. At the same time, they are great protectors and will ward off intruders, as they were brave enough to attack bulls back in the day. They're affectionate, loyal, and great with children. However, they are noted for their guarding abilities. English Bulldogs are stubborn and persistent. Bulldogs love human attention and they are very social but since Bulldogs are dominant animals, they need a strong leader. They love their families and form strong bonds with their humans. They are good with family pets but may act differently around "strange" dogs. As youngins, Bulldogs have tons of energy but they wind down as they get older. They are very loud snorers and they can drool a lot!

The most common health problem for English Bulldogs has to do with breathing. Sometimes they have small windpipes. They don't have the best eyesight and they're prone to heat stroke. They should never be left alone in a hot room or car. English Bulldog puppies are often delivered via C-section because of their large heads. They have active digestive systems which can be a problem for people that are sensitive to smells. They're sometimes prone to skin infections and hip and knee problems.

English Bulldogs are generally an indoor breed. They do best in mild climates because they're not especially good in the heat or the cold. Some Bulldogs are full of energy and others don't exercise at all. They do need their daily walks and if they're fit, they will move fairly fast. English Bulldogs are average shedders with fine, smooth, short hair. They should be bathed only when necessary but their faces should be wiped with a damp cloth every day in order to clean inside their wrinkles. They generally are not great swimmers but enjoy being around the water like most dogs.

If you have ever spent a lot of time with an English Bulldog you know what a wonderful breed of dog this is. While not perfect for everyone they make great family pets and protectors.

Hans Lynch is a life long dog lover and the owner of http://www.lucysdoghouse.net. Lucy's Dog House has a great selection of tough dog toys, and a wide variety of great products for you and your dog.

3 comments:

  1. Hi,

    It’s rare that any content fascinates me enough carry on reading following the initial few lines these days. This specific article kept me fascinated from the beginning. It’s beneficial as well as great reading. visit French Bulldog Puppies

    Keep it Up...!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr Itua cure my HIV, I have been a ARV Consumption for 10 years. i have been in pains until i came across Dr Itua on blogs site.I emailed him about my details of my HIV and my location i explained every thing to him and he told me that there is nothing to be scared of that he will cured me, he gave me guarantee,He ask me to pay for items fees so when i'm cured I will show gratitude I did and giving testimony of his healing herbs is what I'm going to do for the rest of you out there having HIV and other disease can see the good work of Dr Itua.I received his herbal medicine through EMS Courier service who delivered to my post office within 5 working days.Dr Itua is an honest man and I appreciate him for his good work.My GrandMa called him to appreciate him and rest of my friends did too,Is a joy to me that I'm free of taking Pills and having that fat belle is a nightmare.you will understand what i'm talking about if you have same problem I was having then not now though.I'm free and healthy Big Thanks To Dr Itua Herbal Center.I have his calendar too that he recently sent me,He Cure all kind disease Like,Cancer,Weak Erection,Wart Remover,Hpv,Herpes,Fibromyalgia,Hiv,Hepatitis B,Liver/Kidney Inflamatory,Epilepsy,Infertility,Fibroid,Diabetes,Dercum,Copd ,and also Bring back Ex Lover Back..Here his Contact .drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whats_app Number +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the blog post buddy! Keep them coming... BARKING BULLIES

    ReplyDelete